Subject: Cleaning glass

Cleaning glass

From: Helena Jaeschke <helena.jaeschke>
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Zoe Old <zold [at] iwm__org__uk> writes

>We are trying to identify a cleaning product, either chemical or
>non-chemical for cleaning windscreens, mirrors etc on our large
>exhibits that are on display.

I have found that microfibre cloths, used dry or damp, have proved
excellent for cleaning glass and have not produced any adverse
effects to date.  Care has to be taken not to catch fibres on
structures at the edge of the glass (eg carved frames) and to get
the corners clean (a wooden toothpick can be used carefully to push
a small piece of the cloth into the corner. The cloths remove
greasemarks, dry dirt and water stains and can be laundered many
times.

I have also used industrial methylated spirits on paper towel to
clean glass which has had mould growths on it. Hope this helps,

Helena Jaeschke
Conservation Development Officer: Southwest
+44 1392 665951
Royal Albert Memorial Museum
Queen Street, Exeter EX4 3RX

                 Distributed: Monday, November 22, 2004