Subject: Carvings

Carvings

From: Helena Jaeschke <helena.jaeschke>
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2004
>We are currently in the process of planning the design of an
>exhibition space and cases for a collection of 38 16th century
>carved oak romaine heads, known as the Stirling Heads.

Lynda Robertson asked about mounting systems for the Stirling heads.
We have found that Perspex provides a very suitable medium for
mounting archaeological items. Made from acrylic resin, it is
stable, inert and can provide some buffering of changes in humidity.
It does not encourage condensation and subsequent mould growth in
the way that metal and glass structures can.

Perspex can form massive structural pieces which support
considerable weight (we have used 25mm block as supports for very
heavy items)and can readily be carved and polished to conform to
irregular surfaces. Thinner sheet can be cut, curved using a hot air
gun and polished before attaching with Perspex cement (Tensol) or
screw fixings, depending on the design. Perspex is available in
colourless glass-clear and UV filtering grades, in various coloured
transparent, translucent and opaque forms and with a mirror face.
Hope this helps,

Helena Jaeschke
Conservation Development Officer: Southwest
+44 1392 665951
Royal Albert Memorial Museum
Queen Street, Exeter EX4 3RX

                 Distributed: Monday, November 22, 2004