Subject: Carvings

Carvings

From: Lynda Robertson <lynda.robertson>
Date: Monday, November 1, 2004
We are currently in the process of planning the design of an
exhibition space and cases for a collection of 38 16th century
carved oak romaine heads, known as the Stirling Heads.

We need to be able to safely display and mount the Heads, they are
of varying size (approximate average diameter of 700 mm), weight and
fragility, some of the heads are in several pieces.  As there is a
lot of interesting archaeological material on the back of some of
the heads we would like to be able to display at least some in a way
which would allow the viewer to see both the front and the back. For
these reasons the mounting system will have to be flexible and
adaptable.

Due to the nature of the building; Stirling Castle, and its various
uses, the required environmental conditions will be controlled
locally within the cases, the room itself will have temperature
control but no humidistat control.

I would like to hear from anyone who has either had experience of
sourcing/designing a mounting system to accommodate a collection
with a similar variety of needs or has ideas/advice on suitable
mounting systems and materials.

Lynda Robertson
Structural Paintings Conservator
Historic Scotland