Subject: Identification tags

Identification tags

From: Janet Sturis <janet>
Date: Friday, October 8, 2004
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as
    well

Could someone please recommend what type of material I should use to
produce a series of numbered ID tags or charms? These are the
criteria I would like the tag or charm to fulfill:

    *   durable and legible for at least 100 years, and preferably
        longer
    *   can be easily affixed (without adhesive) to objects made of
        a variety of materials, including metal, plastic, wood,
        fabric and ceramic, without marring the objects over time
    *   can be detached from the same objects, if desired, and moved
        to a different object
    *   attractive appearance
    *   small (approximately 1 cm or 3/8 inch in diameter)
    *   inexpensive

Also, would the numbers need to be engraved in order to last, or are
there other options?

As a layperson, I lean towards a small stainless steel "charm," but
I don't know whether that is the best choice. (By the way, if
someone can steer me towards a source for the ideal item, all the
better)

Jan Sturis
Aakandevej 60
3500 Vaerloese