Subject: Hand Papermaking magazine

Hand Papermaking magazine

From: Tom Bannister <tom>
Date: Thursday, September 30, 2004
For almost 20 years, Hand Papermaking magazine has informed and
inspired paper aficionados. This fall, we are contacting the paper
conservation community to invite your involvement and support. Your
colleagues Cathleen Baker, Timothy Barrett, and Mindell Dubansky are
devoted to Hand Papermaking's non-profit mission offering valuable
time and energy as board members. We encourage you to get to know us
by browsing our website and by subscribing to our magazine and
newsletter. Place your new subscription order before November 30 and
receive a free back issue--an $18 value.

Each issue of Hand Papermaking includes articles and reviews written
by experts in the field, and by notable practitioners offering a
fresh perspective. The magazine contains no advertising and features
an elegant 9x12 format, tipped-in handmade paper samples, and
editorial themes. For example, the Winter 2004 issue will focus on
paper conservation and history, including an update on the Library
of Congress' Endpaper Project, an overview of Japanese papermaking,
and an in-depth article by guest editor Cathleen Baker on the
importance of understanding the inner secrets of handmade paper.

The first magazine of 2005 is the inaugural issue by Mina
Takahashi--accomplished papermaker, former director of Dieu Donne
Papermill, and Hand Papermaking's new editor. Subjects lined up so
far explore the theme of hand papermaking in contemporary art,
including archival paper concerns addressed by Art Institute of
Chicago conservators, a visit to Ken Tyler's renowned Singapore
facility where papermakers collaborate with prominent artists, and a
look at Museum Rijswijk's Holland Paper Biennial.

In addition to the magazine, Hand Papermaking subscribers also
receive our quarterly newsletter, featuring regular columnists and
timely listings plus reader feedback.

We hope you will become involved with Hand Papermaking by offering
suggestions and article ideas, and by subscribing to our magazine
and newsletter. Annual subscriptions in the US are $45. Subscribe
before November 30 and receive a free back issue. A complete list of
back issues, and more information about Hand Papermaking's
non-profit activities, can be found at
<URL:http://www.handpapermaking.org>.

For your free back issue, may we suggest the Winter 1991 issue. It
includes a double-couched handmade paper sample made by Mina
Takahashi. As you read the words of Texas paper artist/educator Beck
Whitehead, Japanese paper authority Timothy Barrett, Tibetan experts
Tom Leech and Valrae Reynolds, Metropolitan Museum Conservator
Mindell Dubansky, Dard Hunter biographer Cathleen Baker, and a
half-dozen other writers, you will see why our loyal subscribers
stay with us year after year.

Sign-up online, or call 301-220-2393 to subscribe using a Visa or
MasterCard. Institutions can Fax: a purchase order to 301-220-2394.
Orders by mail can be sent to

    Hand Papermaking
    PO Box 77027
    Washington DC 20013