Subject: Display cases

Display cases

From: Will Jeffers <wjeffers>
Date: Thursday, September 30, 2004
Cary Beattie Maguire <cbeattiemaguire [at] nelson-atkins__org> writes

>Does anyone have experience using Microchamber paint (Conservation
>Resources), Sancure 878 (BF Goodrich), or Frabulon Crystal (Pratt
>and Lambert) as a barrier for wood?  I am interested in knowing if
>they can be used to coat wood in a display case or storage case.
>Have there been tests to determine permeability, longevity, or
>archival quality? Are there published analyses, I can consult?  I
>appreciate any and all thoughts or comments on these coating
>materials.

We've recently had very encouraging results using Benjamin Moore
Waterborne Acrylic Epoxy coatings for blocking emissions, although
we haven't tested them fully.  Technical data sheets for these
products can be found at:

    <URL:http://www.benjaminmoore.com/tds/1033/TDSM43M44C.pdf>
    <URL:http://www.benjaminmoore.com/tds/1033/TDSM43-00M44B.pdf>

Will Jeffers
Collections Care Scientific Research Assistant
Scientific Research Laboratory
Museum of Fine Arts
465 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115