Subject: Ozone generators

Ozone generators

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Wednesday, September 29, 2004
Rosalie Scott <rosalie_scott [at] gov__nt__ca> writes

>An individual has contacted me who has had a house fire and is
>dealing with a disaster recovery company. The company is pushing the
>use of an ozone generator to eliminate the smoke smell. She is
>particularly concerned about her antique furniture

I have seen these in action in a theater damaged by mold and the
results of their use in a home damaged by fire.  The outcome is
quite dramatic.  I could not smell smoke at all.  I used to have a
similar machine (negative Ion generator) at the California Palace of
the Legion of Honor before the rehabilitation of the museum.  I
needed something to control the constant frass and dust produced by
the rugs that were installed.  It seemed to work well.  There is
some debate about their effects on museum objects.  There was a
museum study done by Mr. Druzik at the Getty some years back.  You
could talk to him or get a copy for more details.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

                 Distributed: Thursday, October 7, 2004