Subject: Terminology

Terminology

From: Arturs Lapins <artvrs>
Date: Monday, September 6, 2004
I am looking for a reasonable definition of the term "spandrel" or
"spandril" to be able to translate it in Latvian. So far I have
found German translation "pendentif", which does not explain too
much, and also Russian "pazuha arki", which would be "arm-pit of an
arch".

What was original Latin and/or Greek name for it?

    **** Moderator's comments: AAT has this:

        spandrels: Use for surfaces adjacent to an arch above its
        springing, also by extension the walls above or below window
        openings in modern curtain wall construction.

Arturs Lapins
Architectural investigation group
Project department director
+371 7211253
Fax: +371 7221647
Riga, Arsenala Iela 3, 4.stavs
Latvia

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 15, 2004