Subject: Early 17th century Florentine portraits

Early 17th century Florentine portraits

From: Steven Prins <sprins1102>
Date: Tuesday, September 7, 2004
In anticipation of treatment of a large portrait of a Spanish
condotierre in the service of the Medici in Florence c. 1620, I am
seeking information on two aspects of Florentine portraiture in the
early 1600s.  First I am interested in information on Spanish
painters, especially portraitists, who might have been active in the
Medici court or Florence around this time.  I am also interested in
the cross-fertilization of technical traditions between Spain and
Italy during this era.  Specifically, I am interested in information
on the use of dark, earthen grounds in Florentine portraiture of the
time. If anyone has information regarding literary sources or knows
of examples of the practice from personal experience I would like to
hear from them.  I would especially appreciate any information
regarding the work of Tiberio di Tito and other artists working in
the Medici court.  Thank you,

Steven Prins

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 15, 2004