Subject: Removing shoe polish from marble

Removing shoe polish from marble

From: Martha Seelenberger <martha.seelenberger>
Date: Monday, August 23, 2004
I want to know if anyone has had the experience of removing shoe
polish from marble. I am a conservation technician for the city of
New York at the Monuments dept.  We had a graffiti applied with
Griffin black shoe polish on a marble monument last Thursday.  We
have tried to remove the paste, unsuccessfully. So far we have
tested naphtha, acetone, and a paint stripper called rock miracle,
which basically is M.E.K. in a cellulose gel.  We ended up applying
a Prosoco product called PeelAway 1, left it on surface for 72 hrs
at no avail. If anyone has any suggestions I would be willing to
test them. Thank you,

Martha Seelenberger
Monuments Conservation Program
The Arsenal