Subject: Tight'n'Up liquid canvas retensioner

Tight'n'Up liquid canvas retensioner

From: Tatiana Ginsberg <tginsberg>
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2004
Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo [at] aol__com> writes

>... But
>this time the canvas shrunk disastrously. There was no gesso as a
>ground, the pigment had been applied onto a glue foundation only.

I apologize for answering a question with a question, but this query
brings up a subject that I have been wondering about for some time.
Is a glue (rabbit skin) foundation alone inadequate to prepare a
painting support? If an artist desires to retain the natural color
of a canvas or paper support for oil based paintings is there a
better solution?

Tatiana Ginsberg
Kyoto, Japan

                 Distributed: Sunday, September 5, 2004