Subject: Cake icing

Cake icing

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Monday, August 23, 2004
Sue Bigelow <sue_bigelow [at] city__vancouver__bc__ca> writes

>We have in our Archives a collection of decorated cake tops. ...
>... Does anyone have experience in
>adhering sugar-based artifacts, or any suggestions?

Regarding Sue Bigelow's inquiry on adhering sugar-based artifacts,
Amber Rowe published a brief Technical Note in the AICCM
(Australia), National Newsletter, no. 39, June 1991, titled
"Treatment Note--Icing Sugar Wedding Cake Decoration". She used
Acryloid B-72 Adhesive for the repairs, stating: "...B-72's ease of
reversibility and 'tack' were ideal."  This is a minimally invasive
and reversible alternative to using real icing.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way