Subject: Plasticine as art medium

Plasticine as art medium

From: Shelley Reisman Paine <srpaine>
Date: Tuesday, August 17, 2004
Ann Douglas <adouglas [at] tpl__toronto__on__ca> writes

>The library has received a donation of several 3-D pictures made of
>plasticine, not polymer clay, that were used as models for
>illustrations in children's books. ...
>..
>Is this flaking what one might expect plasticine to do as it ages?
>Is there anyway to prevent it from occurring? Could the acrylic box
>or the fact that it is sealed be a factor? ...

I have worked on several plasticine sculpture models.  The flaking
paint could be occurring for many reasons.  The separations could be
due to incompatibility of the paint with the plasticine, sulfur
interference from the plasticine, dimensional changes caused by a
corroding armature, environmental shifts and other reasons as well.
However, I think the real issue with these materials are temperature
shifts.  As the plasticine gets warmer it will sag, often separating
into fragments and dislodging the armature.  I suggest that you
ventilate a case made from safe, stable materials and keep it cool
if it is to remain stable.   Be sure that it is not overheated from
exhibit lights.  Good luck!

Shelley R. Paine
Sculpture conservator
2407 sunset Place