Subject: Tight'n'Up liquid canvas retensioner

Tight'n'Up liquid canvas retensioner

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Saturday, August 14, 2004
I have a painting in the laboratory now which came from a frame
show. The painting came to them for framing but the canvas was limp.
As part of their service they told the owner they could spray it
with Tight'n'Up liquid canvas retensioner and the canvas would
regain its strength and be taunt. The owner told me that he had used
this product on many paintings with very satisfactory results. But
this time the canvas shrunk disastrously. There was no gesso as a
ground, the pigment had been applied onto a glue foundation only.
The substance comes in a spray plastic bottle which has no contents
listed. Has anyone heard of this product before? I have been able to
relax the canvas and set down the paint back onto it, but I am
wondering if there will be any long term effects. I have begun some
experiments with a container of the product the owner provided me
but if others have done this already I would prefer not to reinvent
the wheel.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service