Subject: Shadow puppets

Shadow puppets

From: Panagiota Manti <mantigiota>
Date: Friday, August 13, 2004
Leonie Gaertner <leonie_gaertner [at] arcor__de> writes

>... I
>am currently working on my dissertation, which consists of the
>documentation and conservation of a large rawhide shadow puppet from
>Thailand (Nang Yai).

Here are some bibliographic citations (chronological order) relating
to the conservation and technology of shadow puppets:

    Kronthal, Lisa (1997).
    "Conservation of Chinese shadow puppets from the anthropology
    collection of the American Museum of Natural History".
    AIC, Object Specialty Group postprints, Vol.5, pp 32-51

    Dicus, Diana H. (1995).
    "Stabilization of a large rawhide shadow puppet. Ethics,
    materials, micro environment" Conservation of leathercraft and
    related objects: interim meeting on the treatment of and
    research into leather, in particular of ethnographic objects
    Amsterdam: ICOM Committee for Conservation, pp59-66

    Campbell, Mei Wan (1992).
    "Support System for Fragile Three-Dimensional Objects: Shadow
    Puppets".
    in Storage of Natural History Collections: Ideas and Practical
    Solutions Rose, Carolyn L.; de Torres, Amparo R. (Editors);
    Pittsburgh: Society for the Preservation of Natural History
    Collections, pp.153-154

    Schmitzer, Werner (1984).
    "Restoration of Chinese and Indonesian shadow puppets"
    ICOM Committee for Conservation, 7th Triennial Meeting
    Copenhagen, 10-14 September 1984, Preprints, Paris: ICOM,
    pp.84189-841813

    Erda, Betti; Freed, Stanley A. (1976).
    "Special problems of a temporary exhibit"
    Curator 19(1):73-86

    Gowers, Harold J. (1975).
    "The conservation of Javanese shadow puppets"
    ICOM Committee for Conservation, 4th triennial meeting, Venice,
    13-18 October 1975: Preprints, Paris, pp. 75/3-1-75/3/7

    Agrawal, O.P. (1975).
    "Conservation of Asian cultural objects: Asian materials and
    techniques--shadow puppets"
    Museum Vol.27 No.4, pp.194-198

And some for treatments that you might find useful:

    Matteini, Mauro; Montalbano, Letizia; Rizzi, Maria; Rossi
    Scarzanella, Chiara; Et Alii (1996).
    "Experimental testing of different kinds of fixatives used for
    the consolidation of painted parchment"
    International conference on conservation and restoration of
    archive and library materials, Erice (Italy), CCSEM, 22-29 April
    1996: preprints, vol. I and II, Roma: Istituto centrale per la
    patologia del libro, pp:535-543

    Nieuwenhuizen, Linda(1998).
    "Synthetic fill materials for skin, leather, and furs". Journal
    of American Institute for Conservation 37(1), pp.135-145

        <URL:http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/
            articles/jaic37-01-010_indx.html>

        **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped
        for email. There should be no newline.

    Shenton, Helen (ed) (1992).
    Vellum and Parchment
    The Paper Conservator, 16
    (the whole volume, see more references therein)

    Grant, John (1985)
    "Techniques for reshaping ethnographic skin and leather objects"
    Recent advances in leather conservation. Proceedings of a
    refresher course, June 1984 Fogle, Sonja (Editor); Washington:
    The foundation of the American Institute for Conservation,
    pp.61-62

Panagiota Manti
Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art (RLAHA)
Oxford University,
6 Keble Rd, Oxford, OX1 3QJ
+44 1865 283648 (MSc)

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 17, 2004