Subject: Airplane wing

Airplane wing

From: Linda S. Roundhill <artsconservation>
Date: Friday, August 13, 2004
Mark Vine <vpackthread [at] aol__com> writes

>This question is posed on behalf of a Conservator of historic
>aeroplanes.  The conservator requires a massive syringe or
>applicator to apply even layers of adhesive between material
>bindings around the framework of World War I Aeroplanes.

When I am in a pinch for a large dispenser I fill a one gallon
freezer-weight zip-lock bag and cut off one of the lower corners to
the desired diameter and use it like a baker's pastry bag.  It
really needs two hands to be absolutely steady, but I have managed
with one hand if it isn't filled too full, and it is cheap and
disposable!  You can easily mix two-part resins together right in
the bag on the scale by weight, seal it, knead it thoroughly to mix
and then cut the hole  (I haven't mixed more than about 200 ml at a
time due to the exothermic reaction).  I suppose the metal pastry
bag tips could be used if a long slit or fine nozzle were required,
since the harder you squeeze, the bigger the hole becomes (of course
a thicker ml bag wouldn't stretch as much).  It is probably not
controllable enough for a lot of things but it got me out of a pinch
more than once! I even attached a feeder tube to it once to inject
it down inside a tight place.

Hey, I just thought of something.  Perhaps a hollow cartridge-shaped
tube could be fitted into the caulk gun applicator and then slip the
mixed, bagged resin into it, un-snipped corner sticking out like a
nozzle, then snip and go.  The plunger might have to be modified to
not pinch the bag or rip it.  Perhaps inserting a polyethylene foam
disk spacer (cut to exactly the right diameter and slipped between
the bag and the plunger) would do the trick.  Perhaps even a metal
nozzle could be fashioned to slip over the end of the corner of the
bag and attach to caulk gun to provide better bead control.  Just
brainstorming... as if I did not have a pile of real work waiting
for me!

Linda S. Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation
18121 157th Ave NE