Subject: Shadow puppets

Shadow puppets

From: Leonie Gaertner <leonie_gaertner>
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2004
I am a graduate student at Berlin University of applied sciences. I
am currently working on my dissertation, which consists of the
documentation and conservation of a large rawhide shadow puppet from
Thailand (Nang Yai). As I could find very little information on
actual conservation treatments on similar objects, I would be very
glad if any conservator working with shadow puppets or related
material shares their experience with me.

The main topic of the dissertation will be the reshaping of the
severely distorted rawhide, filling in extensive loss and devising a
storage system for the whole collection.

I worked out a short questionnaire that I will happily send to
interested conservators  upon request. I am also very interested in
any tip regarding conservation publications that deal with these
issues.

If you have any information that might prove helpful for me, please
email me. Thank you very much for your help and patience,

Leonie Gaertner
Ethnologisches Museum Berlin
Arnimallee 27
D-14195 Berlin