Subject: Consolidating silver foil on glass

Consolidating silver foil on glass

From: Langus Irma <irma.langus>
Date: Wednesday, July 28, 2004
My problem is consolidation of paint layer on verre eglomise
painting. I have to consolidate thin silver foil, flaking off the
glass. Black line drawing is backed with gold and silver. Back of
the silver foil is covered with blackish lacquer, which is also a
part of the problem, it has shrunk and pulled the foil off the
glass. I have to find non yellowing, low viscous, reversible (at
least partially) adhesive.

Irma Langus
Conservator - restorer
National museum of Slovenia