Subject: Synthetic dyes and synthetic pigments

Synthetic dyes and synthetic pigments

From: Jennifer Barnett <reginatextilia>
Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2004
For the Netherlands Institute of Cultural Heritage (ICN), I  am
carrying out a literature research into research done between 1850
and 1900 on synthetic dyes and pigments used on textile, paper and
paintings. In addition, instances of problems (fading, bleeding,
colour change etc.) occurring with these colorants on textiles,
paper or paintings dating from 1850 to 1920 will be included.

The web sited databases of BCIN, AATA and C0OL have been consulted
but there must be more relevant publications that have not made it
to the abstract stage. I would greatly appreciate receiving any
references which are not cited on these databases.

In comparing the abstracts found so far with my own experience, I
have the impression that the few citations of problems associated
with synthetic dyes and pigments found does not represent the number
of instances or observations that have actually occurred.  For
example, every late 19th century Berlin work embroidery (more than a
few) which I have treated or examined during the last 20 years was
significantly changed in appearance by faded and changed colours. I,
probably as so many others, never published an article about this
problem because it is so common, seems so obvious and cannot be
treated anyhow. On the other hand, it was never absolutely certain
that synthetic dyes were always present as dye analysis was never
carried out.  I suspect that this is often the case for other
materials as well.

References citing problems with identified synthetic dyes and
pigments are therefore particularly welcome.  Just to get an idea of
how wide spread fading, bleeding and colour changes or any other
problems may be, I would greatly appreciate hearing of any condition
surveys that may provide such data.  I would also like to know what
impressions others may have of the occurrence and sort of problems
presented by these synthetic colorants.

Jennifer Barnett
regina textilia: historical textiles research and consultation
Oude Looiersstraat 65-67
1016 VH Amsterdam
Netherlands
+31 20 427 18 27 (phone/fax)