Subject: Maps

Maps

From: Patricia S. Griffin <cuprorivaite>
Date: Thursday, July 29, 2004
I am interested in references that describe the technology used to
create maps in pre-civil war America.  The map generating my query
was drafted by J.P. Ayres and engraved by Doolittle and Munson of
Cincinnati, Ohio in 1833. My specific question is whether a varnish
was employed as part of the original manufacture.  Any information
would be appreciated.

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 5, 2004