Subject: Ivory

Ivory

From: Jamie Hascall <jhascall>
Date: Friday, July 30, 2004
I've been asked for strategies to preserve two large fragments of
Mastadon tusk that were dug up in a wet area in the early '80s and
have been stored/displayed in a tank of water since then. There is a
lot of layer separation and other damage to the ivory but the
overall integrity still seems to be there. I'm wondering if PEG
might be appropriate to preserve these objects or what other avenues
might be possible.

Thanks,
Jamie Hascall
Hascall Museum Services