Subject: Air handling systems

Air handling systems

From: Hassan Bolourchi <hass>
Date: Thursday, July 22, 2004
In Conservation DistList Instance: 5:44 Tuesday, March 17, 1992,
Paul W. Romaine <70541.3427 [at] compuserve__com> writes

>I am looking for information on equipment for cleaning or filtering air
>in library and archival storage areas?  I am particularly wondering
>about the (in)advisability of certain sorts of equipment currently in
>the general market like deionizer air cleaners. (These devices make me
>very uneasy.) ...

Ion generators and electronic air cleaners may produce ozone
particularly if they are not properly installed and maintained.
Ozone is a harmful gas for health. for more information visit
<URL:http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airclean.html> .

The HEPA air cleaner has not this problem; The HEPA filter can
eliminate 99.97% particulate mater larger than 0.3 microns and
between 95 to 90% less than 0.3%.

The inconvenient is that the fees for replacement of HEPA filter
(once per 3 months) is high up to $400 per year. This kind of air
cleaner also can not eliminate fumes and toxic gases.

There are some air cleaner in market with 3 filter layers:

    1.  A pre-filer for separating large particles which need to be
        changed every year

    2.  A n activated carbon thick layer for absorbing toxic gas,
        fumes and odors

    3.  A HEPA filter

The 2 initial layers protect the HEPA filter from abusing by large
particulate mater and toxic gases. This result on long life time of
HEPA filter up to 5 years;

You can can order on line this kind of air cleaner from
<URL:http://www.library-dust.com/>

Hassan Bolourchi, Ph D
Manager
Library Dust Consulting, LLC