Subject: Displaying quilt

Displaying quilt

From: Elizabeth A. Richards <elizabeth.richards>
Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2004
Teri L. Herbert <herbertl [at] musc__edu> writes

>What can be used to protect a cotton quilt that is to be hung on an
>indoor brick wall?  It is a full size quilt.  Is there a source of
>whatever is recommended in that large a size?

It is relatively simply to hang a full size quilt by making a full
lining to protect the back of the quilt.  I attach the lining on
three sides, leaving the bottom unstitched.  A velcro system can be
used for mounting the quilt. The hook side of the Velcro is stapled
to a sealed board about two inches shorter than the width of the
quilt.  The loop side of the Velcro is stitched by machine onto a
cotton or cotton/polyester fabric/tape and this strip is sewn by
hand to the top of the lined quilt.  CCI Notes shows how to
construct a Velcro mount for textiles.

The sealed wooden board can be attached to the brick wall with three
or four screws, made for insertion into brick.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Clothing and Textiles
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta