Subject: Displaying flags and banners

Displaying flags and banners

From: Lynn McClean <l.mcclean>
Date: Wednesday, July 7, 2004
We are investigating options for the framed display of mounted
historic flags and banners in the Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh.

Our current display uses a metal and glass picture-type frame. The
largest mounted banner is approximately 2m tall and 1.75m wide. The
banner is mounted on a fabric-covered Hexalite board and fitted into
the frame. The frames are visually obtrusive, difficult to move and
install, and represent a health and safety hazard when doing so.

We would like to hear from anyone who has developed an innovative
framing system for banners, either by adapting a conventional frame,
or working from scratch. We would like the new frames to be
adaptable to take banners of different sizes, slim-line and visually
attractive, easy to install, and in line with conservation standards
for materials.

Lynn McClean
Head of Paper and Textile Conservation
National Museums of Scotland