Subject: Hot melt adhesives

Hot melt adhesives

From: John Burke <jb>
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Amanda Pagliarino <amanda.pagliarino [at] qag__qld__gov__au> writes:

>analysis of some metal coupons from the Oddy tests.  Following
>testing two adhesives from 3M proved to be suitable for long term
>use: 3792-LM which is a lower-melt adhesive for foams, and 3748
>which is higher-melt and suitable for plastics and fluted
>polypropylene board.  The 3M applicator guns are also well designed
>and durable.

Hot melt adhesives come in a wide range of formulations, most (but
not all) based on EVA and hydrocarbon resins (not unlike BEVA, by
golly). 3M Jet-Melt 3792 is a good example.  Jet-Melt 3748, on the
other hand, substitutes polyethylene and polypropylene wax (and
styrene butadiene, etc) for the EVA., which is perhaps why it is
marketed as "non-corrosive."  Another non-EVA hot melt is 3M
Jet-Melt 3797, which we like because it's soluble in room
temperature aliphatics, unlike the EVA types.

BTW: the 3M guns are nice, but expensive!  Unfortunately, I don't
believe you have a choice...

John Burke
Oakland Museum of California

                 Distributed: Wednesday, July 21, 2004