Subject: Polishing Epotek 301

Polishing Epotek 301

From: Berit Moller <beritogbent>
Date: Saturday, July 10, 2004
Robert K. MacDowell <macdowell_r [at] mediasoft__net> writes

>Does anyone have experience with restoring a highly polished and
>"glasslike" finish to Epoxy Technology's Epotek 301 or 301-2 after
>it has been cured and then shaped by mechanical means that take away
>the glossy finish that exists before shaping? ...

I recommend contacting a dental supplier. They stock various
polishing tools for  machines that resemble the Dremel tool. Search
for polishers for acrylic or porcelain. You can get them i various
shapes. The final polishing is made with a cloth wheel and a special
polishing paste. With this you can polish to an almost glasslike
surface. I have no experience polishing epoxy but the hardness of
this surface may require polishing tools for porcelain. If you want
to polish by hand I recommend grinding paper (grain seize 1200-4000)
produced by 3M. A further polishing can be done with diamond paste
(glass polishing suppliers).

Berit Moller
Conservator of Paintings
Amalienborg Palace