Subject: Buried metal

Buried metal

From: Patrick Gallagher <drrust>
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Jack Ogden <jack [at] striptwist__com> writes

>There are sometimes minute, very fragile meandering tubes on ancient
>buried metal objects that I have always thought of as 'worm casts'
>(though that might not be the right term). ...

Very likely these tubes are the product of filiform corrosion.  See
<URL:http://www.chem.fsu.edu/editors/STEINBOCK/projects/ffc/ffc.htm>
and corrosion texts for a discussion of this interesting phenomenon.
This could be checked by determining whether the tube material has a
metal content that is similar to or a component of the underlying
metal object.

Patrick Gallagher
Materials Preservation

                 Distributed: Wednesday, July 21, 2004