Subject: Airtex fabric

Airtex fabric

From: Alison Luxner <alisonluxner>
Date: Thursday, July 8, 2004
The Worcester Art Museum has acquired a print by the German artist
Sigmar Polke, which is on a support of Airtex fabric.  The fabric is
a lightweight, slightly sheer, white polyester with an acrylic
"scratch-resistant" coating. The work is quite large, (about 60 x 90
inches).  We plan on framing it and storing it in the frame, in a
vertical orientation.  The print will float in the frame without an
overmat.

Has anyone out there worked with Airtex fabric?  Have you found a
satisfying solution to long-term hinging?  We are considering
Lascaux 360 HV, but I am concerned about applying heat to the
fabric, and causing distortions.  The same concerns hold true with
other heat set adhesives, such as Beva.  Wheat starch paste will not
stick to the plastic of the fabric.  PVA or an acrylic pressure
sensitive tape may be appropriate, but I have concerns about the
long-term effects of these materials.  I welcome any suggestions.

Alison Luxner
Paper Conservator
Worcester Art Museum
Worcester, Massachusetts