Subject: Convergence of UK conservation organizations

Convergence of UK conservation organizations

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Sunday, July 4, 2004
Ylva Player-Dahnsjo <y.m.t.playerdahnsjo [at] dundee__ac__uk>

>Most proposals for action (including conservation treatment
>proposals) have pros and cons that have to be weighed up before
>proceeding, and the Convergence Consultation Process is exactly this
>process. As conservators, we need to stay true to our professional
>training and ethics, and look at the big picture and the long view
>as well as the details of our own particular circumstances. This is
>not 1976.

I hope it is acceptable for my to "butt in" on this but I could not
help but see a "convergence" between these events and those driving
towards certification in the AIC.  It is difficult for me to
understand why Ms. Ylva Player-Dahnsjo and others in favor of
convergence are upset that other members have brought objections to
this forum.  It would seem to me that the widest possible debate
would be healthy.  What is terribly reminiscent here, however, is
the insistence that all discussion appear in official venues.  The
AIC voted down certification time and again until the issue was
taken to the membership in a barrage of official mailings and
publications.  The events of Convergence are just what I had feared
from certification in the AIC, that we would waste time and money
creating processes and official bodies and then find ourselves in a
position in which many people were left out.  I hope AIC members are
taking note here and that we abandon certification and go back to
encouraging all our members to become PA's or Fellows.

Niccolo Caldararo

                   Distributed: Friday, July 9, 2004