Subject: Landscape paintings on photographic base

Landscape paintings on photographic base

From: Christine Ianna <christinei>
Date: Friday, July 2, 2004
Glenn Willumson <gwillumson [at] arts__ufl__edu> writes

>I am interested in nineteenth century landscape paintings that were
>painted over photographs. ...
>..
>...  If there is further literature on
>the subject I would appreciate the citations.

The Queensland Museum has a collection of about 175 hand coloured
photographs taken by Richard Daintree during his time as Queensland
Geologist and later as the state's Agent-General.  The photographs
were taken between 1864 and 1870 and it is believed hand coloured in
London for display in the Queensland exhibit in the 1871 Exhibition
of Art and Industry, or for later exhibitions in London, Vienna and
Philadelphia.Ian Sanker in the publication listed below records that
'in many cases, the colouring and retouching has given a rather
un-Queensland appearance to the photographs, having obviously been
done by someone more familiar with European scenery'.

A footnote also appears in the catalogue of the 1876 Philadelphia
International Exhibition describing that: "Most of these photographs
were taken by Mr R. Daintree whilst travelling in Qld, by a 'dry
process' in which gum resin of one of Australian Eucalypti was used
as the 'preservative' mixture; they were afterwards enlarged by the
autotype process, and coloured in oil.

Reference: 'Queensland in the 1860's', The Photography of Richard
Daintree, Ian G. Sanker, Queensland Museum Booklet No. 10, 1977

Christine Ianna
Senior Conservator
Queensland Museum
PO Box 3300