Subject: Convergence of UK conservation organizations

Convergence of UK conservation organizations

From: Yvonne Khong <yvonne>
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2004
I have been forwarded a copy of the amended version of the letter by
Miss McAusland and her co-signatories circulated on 25 June 2004.  I
have also been told that certain members have been enquiring the
actual content of my speech at the AGM.  It is important to point
out that the message that my speech was intended would be distorted
if part of it is quoted in isolation.

For the benefit of those who need clarification of my comments made
at the AGM particularly in the context of the proposed convergence,
I repeat below my message to the members.

   "I am not a member of IPC and naturally do not share the passion
    of those who are for or against the idea of convergence.   I am
    speaking as a Chartered Accountant whose position is entirely
    neutral.  IPC has been dependant extensively on the generosity
    and commitment of its committee members and trustees in devoting
    their own time to most of the organisational functions which IPC
    could have provided by engaging the right executive staff if it
    had sufficient financial resources.  It is in my opinion that
    IPC does not have the financial strength to engage staff at this
    level to take over most of the tasks currently performed by the
    committee.  If IPC was to hire an executive at the current
    market rate and based on the current state of financial affairs
    of IPC, I doubt that IPC could sustain financially beyond three
    years from now without extra funding."  I was asked by a member
    from the floor that if IPC could continue as it is now.  My
    reply was, "yes, it could; except that IPC remains vulnerable if
    it continues to depend extensively on voluntary efforts of
    others."

Yvonne Khong
FCA

                   Distributed: Friday, July 2, 2004