Subject: Architectural drawings

Architectural drawings

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2004
The following is posted on behalf of Delphine Hannoy and Helene de
Tourdonnet:

    We are two French interns in paper conservation at the Canadian
    Centre for Architecture.  At present, we are working on 2
    architectural elevations (from about 1970).  The support looks
    like a translucent plastic drafting film. The drawings are made
    in ink.  Different elements of buildings are made from different
    colored plastics, cut and pasted. The main problem comes from
    the plastic windows, which are transparent and brown (like
    negative film). They made be made of cellulose acetate.  Many
    have come unstuck or are partially detached, some have shrunk
    and curled, some are brittle.  Where they were located, there is
    a yellow and hard glue.

    We hope someone can help us to take decisions about conservation
    treatment:  Should we re-adhere the detached windows?  With
    what adhesive?  Should we dismount the partially detached
    windows and re-adhere them?  If we reattach deteriorating
    cellulose acetate windows will they will inevitably continue to
    shrink and become unstuck again?.  Also, what are recommended
    storage conditions?

    Delphine Hannoy
    Student, INP, departement des Restaurateurs, Paris (IFROA)

    Helene de Tourdonnet
    Student, MST Conservation-Restauration, Paris1 Pantheon-Sorbonne

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 1, 2004