Subject: Convergence of UK conservation organizations

Convergence of UK conservation organizations

From: Jonathan S. Farley <J.Farley>
Date: Friday, June 25, 2004
Jane G. McAusland <janemca [at] globalnet__co__uk> writes

>Ref: The Institute of Paper Conservation and the question of
>convergence

You are quite correct. I felt that the questions in the
questionnaire were inappropriate and did not allow me to adequately
voice my opinions on  the matter. The questionnaire should have been
asking whether we were in favour of such a unified body and how that
body should operate, not how many publications it should produce per
annum as though unification was a foregone conclusion. As a
consequence, I did not bother return the paper-work as I had nothing
to say on the matters queried.

The way that this process has been handled to date, has reminded me
of the worst kind of unrepresentational union practice I encountered
with SOGAT and the NGA in the early '80s. I honestly thought we were
beyond this kind of thing in the 21st century.

Due to the mechanism by which this process has been promoted, (and
any dissenting voices silenced), I have been over the last few weeks
re-considering my membership of the IPC. I am aware that this will
constitute surrendering my accredited status, however, any
accreditation which comes from an organisation that no longer
appears to represent me or my professional objectives, in my opinion
is worth nothing.

Jonathan S Farley ACR MIPC
Senior Conservator

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 1, 2004