Subject: Landscape paintings on photographic base

Landscape paintings on photographic base

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Glenn Willumson <gwillumson [at] arts__ufl__edu> writes

>I am interested in nineteenth century landscape paintings that were
>painted over photographs. ...
>..
>...  If there is further literature on
>the subject I would appreciate the citations.

There is an excellent article by Mervyn Ruggles, "Paintings on a
photographic base," JAIC, Spring 1985, v. 24, n. 2, pp. 92-103.  As
he notes, there are many of these which have defied discovery.  I
assume, however, that you mean paintings in oil or other painted
media over an image and not other varieties (and there were many in
the 19th and early 20th century) of pastels and other applied kinds
of media over photographic images.

Niccolo Caldararo
Conservation Art Service

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 1, 2004