Subject: Hot melt adhesives

Hot melt adhesives

From: Mark Hingley <mark.hingley>
Date: Friday, June 25, 2004
Nelly Balloffet <nballoffet [at] optonline__net> writes

>... We are
>looking for efficient ways to cut down on the time it takes to make
>suitable mounts without compromising safety to the object. Does
>anyone have experience with using hot melt adhesives in a glue gun
>to fabricate mounts made of museum board, foam board and other light
>boards? ...

We have used hot melt glue for the fabrication of cloth covered
display plinths. The plinths are made from foam cored board and are
short-term supplementaries to existing units made from zero
formaldehyde MDF. Some years ago I contacted a UK supplier of hot
melt guns and adhesives to enquire as to the composition of the
adhesive. The stated materials were polyethylene and
microcrystalline wax. On this basis we are prepared to use the stuff
where it is not in direct contact with archival material and where
there is sufficient airflow to dissipate volatiles. We also use the
adhesive to locate hook and loop 'one wrap' straps on our book
folders (aka "phase boxes").

Mark Hingley
Senior Conservator
Conservation section