Subject: Hot melt adhesives

Hot melt adhesives

From: Nelly Balloffet <nballoffet>
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2004
Some of my clients in small libraries and historical societies make
their own mounts for exhibiting books and paper objects. We are
looking for efficient ways to cut down on the time it takes to make
suitable mounts without compromising safety to the object. Does
anyone have experience with using hot melt adhesives in a glue gun
to fabricate mounts made of museum board, foam board and other light
boards? Are there specific types or brands of adhesives that do not
off-gas once dry and are safe to use in an enclosed case? What about
for exhibits that are not in cases?  The adhesive itself will never
come into direct contact with the object on display.

Nelly Balloffet
Paper Star Associates, Inc.
543 Illington Road
Ossining NY 10562