Subject: Weights

Weights

From: Maria Troupkou <maria.troupkou>
Date: Tuesday, June 22, 2004
We at the TNA Preservation Department are trying to replace the
lead-shot weights used as handling aids in the reading rooms
(particularly for securing large parchment rolls during access).

As our (admittedly very nickable) small leather-covered weights have
become scarce, we are now looking to buy a number of:

    cylindrical snake-style leather-covered weights (over 1.8 Kgs.,
    and approximately 5cm wide x 60cm long), and also

    large rectangular lead-shot-core weights in heavyweight
    round-edged plexiglas (over 2.5 Kgs., and much larger than
    10x11x3.8cm).

Does anybody know of a supplier of these, other than the two obvious
UK ones (Conservation-By-Design does a good snake weight, but
Reservation Equipment's plexiglas ones were too small, and thus
again a likely memento).

Maria Troupkou
Preservation Assistant
The National Archives