Subject: Wallpaper

Wallpaper

From: Joyoti Roy <joyotiroy23>
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2004
I have been working at an old English building at Nainital, India
which has decorative wall paper on it. There is insect attack and
general delamination of the paper because of it. The paper has been
either stuck directly or with a paper lining on to a clay plaster
with glue. The area gets heavy rain and hence the humidity levels
are also quite high. Around 10 rooms as large as 14 feet by 20 feet
are decorated with them. Could you suggest an economical method for
its conservation, especially regarding the insect attack. The only
infestation that is found there is of silver fish. Removal of the
paper is our last option. The adhesive is water sensitive and so is
the colour used for printing.

Joyoti Roy
Art Conservator
INTACH, New Delhi