Subject: Disinfectant

Disinfectant

From: Maria Troupkou <maria.troupkou>
Date: Tuesday, June 22, 2004
In Conservation DistList Instance: 11:74 Friday, March 6, 1998,
Cheryl Jackson <cherylj [at] aa__gov__au> writes

>Can someone tell me the suitability of the disinfectant Alkyl
>dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride (a quarternary ammonium compound)
>for use with paper based materials. ...

One of the commercial salvage companies here uses it in the cleaning
and disinfecting process for flood/mud damaged records, and I have
received a query about its suitability, ie any long term effects for
the records. Further to the above query, has anybody used what is
also called 'benzalconium chloride', described as a second
generation quarternary ammonium compound (Quat) and/or a cationic
disinfectant with high biocidal activity (the main active ingredient
in the copper-free pool algicide Physan, and of Lysol(R) Brand
disinfectant Deodorizing Cleaner) for decontaminating damp
archival/library material? Or know of any mention of it in the
literature?

I am aware that it poses 'hazards to humans and domestic animals'
(which is why it is mainly used by commercial salvage companies in
the UK as well); but does it also pose a future threat for the
preservation of paper/leather/parchment and graphite/inks/colours?

Maria Troupkou
Preservation Assistant
The National Archives
Kew Richmond Surrey TW9 4DU