Subject: Call number labels

Call number labels

From: William Minter <wminter>
Date: Tuesday, June 22, 2004
Gloria Bradshaw <bradshawg [at] mail__ecu__edu> writes

>... The institute is having
>trouble with the rare item ID strips being too tall for their
>shelving and trouble with the strips remaining in the bindings (some
>of the bindings are spiral and pamphlets.) ...

I have seen the damage that can be done by the commercially
available ID strips that have a die cut tab to hang on a text page.
That paper is usually far to stiff and will easily tear delicate
paper. When we have returned treated items to rare book collections,
we use a light weight acid-free paper such as 60 lb. text Mohawk
Superfine. The strips were cut too about 1 1/4 inch wide, and then
cut to length to fit the book, i.e. 5/8 inch taller than the book.
To prevent the loss of the strip, it was lightly adhered with two
small dots of wheat starch paste to the paste-down of the inside
back cover. Our clients were pleased with this alternative, however,
we should go back and investigate.

Bill Minter
William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045