Subject: Goldbeater's skin

Goldbeater's skin

From: Linda S. Roundhill <artsconservation>
Date: Sunday, June 13, 2004
Susanne Grieve <susannegrieve [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am researching the use of goldbeater's skin. My main concern is
>that it will be a source for bugs and other types of infestation.
>Has anyone had a problem with this before?

You did not mention what the application is, but I do not think that
Goldbeater's skin would be any more attractive than any other
skin/animal/feather product (except for tanned leather which is
usually a little more inedible).  So if the application is in
contact with these materials, you probably don't need to worry,
apart from the usual storage and housekeeping precautions. However,
if you are using it on cellulosics or other non-proteinaceous
materials, then you do run the risk of adding an attractant for the
type of pests that might otherwise not be interested in your
collections (such as carpet beetles and webbing clothes moth).

Linda S. Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation
18121 157th Ave NE
Woodinville, WA 98072