Subject: Constrain

Constrain

From: Lyn Weaver <lyn.weaver>
Date: Wednesday, June 9, 2004
Erica Devine <edevine [at] museum__ie> writes

>Has anyone come across the use of the permethrin-based insecticide
>Constrain in the treatment of objects, rather than the spraying of
>rooms to prevent insect infestation?

Constrain is a water-based micro emulsion insecticide.  It is
designed to be sprayed onto infested material.  It was also designed
to be as safe as possible for people and objects.  Spraying any
insecticide into the air in rooms is not recommended, as it is not
very effective and can be breathed-in by people.

Permethrin is a synthetic Pyrethroid, which is only very slowly
broken down by light into non toxic by-products.

It is one of the safest, effective insecticides and when absorbed on
infested material should be effective for some time.  I know because
I developed and market it.

If anybody would like more detailed information, please contact me
on enquiries [at] historyonics__com

Robert Child
Head of Conservation
National Museums and Galleries of Wales