Subject: Vacuum packing

Vacuum packing

From: David Kerr <d.kerr>
Date: Monday, June 7, 2004
I am experimenting with vacuum packing as a means of storing
newspapers and I would like to find out more about other peoples
experiences using vacuum packing technology as a means of storing
library material.  I know the benefits of anoxic packaging to
prevent chemical and biological reactions but there are a few areas
in which I'd like find out more on, including peoples experience or
thoughts on:

What barrier films should we be looking at for long term storage of
material and what shelf life do these barrier films have?

If newspapers are vacuum packed, making them a solid block, can they
be stored vertically or is there still a risk of distortion if
stored this way?

Should we put a buffer, such as acid free paper, between the item
being stored and the barrier film?

Should oxygen scavengers always be used?

Has anybody carried out a study to find out how much shelf space is
saved when vacuum packing as opposed to boxing material?

Any other tips be greatly appreciated.

David Kerr
Conservation Manager
National Library of Scotland