Subject: Constrain

Constrain

From: Linda S. Roundhill <artsconservation>
Date: Saturday, June 5, 2004
Erica Devine <edevine [at] museum__ie> writes

>Has anyone come across the use of the permethrin-based insecticide
>Constrain in the treatment of objects, rather than the spraying of
>rooms to prevent insect infestation?

As I understand it, permethrins have a very short life and only kill
on contact.  They supposedly leave little or nothing behind in the
way of a preventative.  You would have to continually treat the
items to prevent anything from happening. I do not know how long
they last, but I was told that after a few hours they are
ineffective.  That information may not be entirely accurate so I
would verify it with qualified pesticide operator.

Linda S. Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation
18121 157th Ave NE
Woodinville WA 98072