Subject: FM 200 fire suppression system

FM 200 fire suppression system

From: Dana Bottomley <dbottomley>
Date: Saturday, May 29, 2004
Our institution is seriously considering installing the FM-200
system in our art storage areas.  I am looking for feedback from a
conservation standpoint regarding the effect the gas may have on art
objects during its discharge and any long term effects afterwards.
What are the risks associated with it?  I have a lot of material
about the system, and I plan on contacting other art institutions
which have installed it, but we have a diverse collection
(paintings, ceramics, objects of various media, works on paper,
etc.) and I would like to feel more secure about the effects of the
gas before saying "okay". Any feedback would be helpful and much
appreciated.

Dana Bottomley
Registrar for Collections
San Diego Museum of Art |