Subject: Archives Conservation Discussion Group

Archives Conservation Discussion Group

From: Kristen St.John <kstjohn>
Date: Tuesday, June 1, 2004
The Archives Conservation Discussion Group (a special interest group
within the Book and Paper Group) will meet at the AIC Annual Meeting
in Portland on June 13, 2004, Sunday afternoon from 4-5pm. Due to
the shorter session time, we wish to have an active and guided
brainstorming session with no formal presentations. This year's
topic will be mending for archival collections in light of the
condition, size, and location of collections: Who, What, When, Why,
and How.

For instance, who is doing the mending? Are trained conservators
doing all the mending, and if not, who and with what materials and
supervision? What is being mended and more crucially, what isn't
being mended? Why for all the above?  How can we add value or
improve our processes and decision-making?

After an introductory discussion, we'll break into small discussion
groups, then regroup and discuss findings. Tips, new mending
techniques or materials people would like to share and lessons
learned from special projects are welcomed during the session or in
advance from those unable to join us this year.

Nora S. Lockshin, McMillan Conservator
Smithsonian Center for Archives Conservation
Smithsonian Institution Archives, A&I 2135, MRC 414
301-238-3700 ext: 147 (SCMRE paper lab)
202-357-1421 ext: 30 (A&I/SIA office)

Kristen St.John, Collections Conservator
UCLA Library Conservation Center
Box 951388, 305 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1388

                   Distributed: Friday, June 4, 2004