Subject: Rust stains on wool

Rust stains on wool

From: Roisin Miles <rosettadubh>
Date: Monday, May 24, 2004
I am working on a military tunic from World War II. It is made from
a thick dark green woollen cloth with a cotton lining. Prior to
acquisition, by the Museum, some of the buttons on the tunic rusted
badly. During storage they came into contact with the cloth and have
caused dark red/brown stains to occur. The fabric in these areas is
stiffer and has a smoother feel than the surrounding fabric.

My only experience of reducing rust stains is on white cellulosic
fibres. Does anyone know of any thing that can be used to remove
rust on wool which would not damage the fibres nor bleach out the
colour?

Roisin Miles
Textile Conservator
National Museum of Ireland