Subject: Overhead projector transparencies

Overhead projector transparencies

From: Larry Hibpshman <larry_hibpshman>
Date: Sunday, May 23, 2004
I discovered about 50 plastic overhead projector slides in an Alaska
State Archives series, foldered as one folder within a box of
textual records. They were created by the Alaska Division  of
Aviation, ca. 1975-80, presumably, for public information programs.

The slides depict a variety of common aircraft types used in Alaska,
from light "bush [planes" through 737's, various aspects of cargo
and passenger management, and field conditions and maintenance. They
also show many airstrips and some communities in remote locations
throughout Alaska.

Good candid photographs from "The Bush" are rare. Two photos show
the Little Diomede Village airstrip, located within site of Big
Diomede Island, Russia. Little Diomede had no permanent landing
strip (and may not have one yet--I don't know) and aircraft only
landed during winter months, on an ice runway on the Bering Sea.

The photos are a valuable cultural resource.  The trouble is, I have
no experience with care and feeding for this medium.

These are not 35 millimeter photographic slides.  They are 8.5 x 11
inch plastic sheets, used with an "overhead Projector".  Each is a
reproduction of a photograph (whereabouts unclear).  Almost all
images are color.  One side has an emulsion, the other side is
smooth. The slides have no identifying data, but someone has
photocopied each.  someone has written identification information in
black felt marker and blue ink on each photocopy.

If anyone has information about how to preserve and store this
format, please comment.

Larry Hibpshman, Archivist
Alaska State Archives
141 Willoughby Avenue