Subject: Matting agent for Acryloid resins

Matting agent for Acryloid resins

From: Helena Jaeschke <mrshjaeschke>
Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2004
Laura Smalarz <preservationworkslrs [at] msn__com> writes

>...  All of the acryloids/paraloids (B72, B67, B48N, B44)
>produce a glossy finish.  Is there anything I can add to create
>matte and semi-gloss sheens? I know that Liquitex makes Soluvar in
>different sheens that I can apply over the different Acryloids, but
is this my only option?

We use aerated silica as a matting agent and find it works well. A
brand called Q-cell is available from a fibreglass company and is
relatively inexpensive. It is a very light, fine white powder which
we use in clear Paraloid B72 coatings with no problems.
Experimentation will show the right amount to use for different
matte finished but we use approximately 1 cm3 in 100 ml or less
(half a teaspoonful in a cup). Hope this helps,

Helena Jaeschke
Archaeological conservator

                   Distributed: Friday, May 28, 2004