Subject: Matting agent for Acryloid resins

Matting agent for Acryloid resins

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Monday, May 24, 2004
Laura Smalarz <preservationworkslrs [at] msn__com> writes

>...  All of the acryloids/paraloids (B72, B67, B48N, B44)
>produce a glossy finish.  Is there anything I can add to create
>matte and semi-gloss sheens? I know that Liquitex makes Soluvar in
>different sheens that I can apply over the different Acryloids, but
is this my only option?

I have used fumed silica, a.k.a., silica aerogel, or fumed colloidal
silica, as matting agents for the Acrylic resins B-72, B-44 and
B-48n. In solvent systems it is not critical whether you use
hydrophobic or hydrophilic, as either will mix in.  Just remember
that you cannot use hydrophobic in water.  You will probably have to
do some experimentation, but you should be able, with a small amount
of fumed silica, and a mix of solvents, obtain a film that is
absolutely invisible.  "Cabosil" is one brand (Cabot Corporation),
and "Aerosil" is another.  The Aerosil series is made by Degussa
Corporation, Pigments Division, 65 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park,
NJ 07660, 201-641-6100.  Degussa will send you samples and has a
large "publication library" of Technical Bulletins on the subject
that you might want to obtain.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
Corning Museum of Glass